Is Molecular Hydrogen Safe for Kids? Exploring the Scientific Evidence
Yes, H2 is generally considered safe for kids, not only that, there has been growing interest in the potential health benefits of molecular hydrogen, especially for children in recent years. Here are some of the potential benefits of molecular hydrogen for kids:
1. Improve athletic performance and recovery 
2. Reduce inflammation 
3. Increase energy levels 
4. Improve digestion 
5. Improve cognitive function and improve mood & anxiety 
6. Enhance wound healing 
7. Evidence of beneficial effects for autistic spectrum disorder 
8. Asthma relief  
9. Reduce severity of eczema or atopic dermatitis 
As parents, ensuring the safety of our children is of paramount importance. If you're considering incorporating molecular hydrogen therapy into your child's wellness routine, it's natural to wonder about its safety. Let's delve into the scientific evidence and explore the safety aspects of molecular hydrogen for kids.
1. Extensive Research:
Scientific studies have extensively investigated the safety of molecular hydrogen. Numerous preclinical and clinical trials have been conducted to assess its effects and potential risks.
2. Non-Toxic and Selective Antioxidant:
Molecular hydrogen (H2) is a non-toxic and selective antioxidant, meaning it targets harmful free radicals while leaving beneficial molecules unharmed. This characteristic reduces the risk of adverse effects on children's health.
3. Safety in Medical Applications:
Hydrogen gas has been used safely in medical applications for decades, such as during deep-sea diving and in certain medical procedures. These applications involve higher concentrations of hydrogen than those found in hydrogen-infused water or other hydrogen products.
4. Dosage Considerations:
Dosage is an essential factor in ensuring safety. Studies have shown that concentrations of molecular hydrogen, such as those found in hydrogen-infused water or hydrogen tablets, are well-tolerated by children when used as directed.
5. Clinical Studies on Safety:
A clinical study investigated the safety of hydrogen-rich water in children with autism spectrum disorder. The study concluded that the consumption of hydrogen-rich water for 12 weeks was safe and well-tolerated, with no reported adverse effects.
6. Consideration for Individual Sensitivities:
While molecular hydrogen has shown excellent safety profiles, it's important to consider individual sensitivities and potential allergies. As with any new supplement or therapy, consulting with a healthcare professional is advisable to address specific concerns related to your child's health.
Based on the available scientific evidence, molecular hydrogen therapy, including hydrogen-infused water or other hydrogen products, appears to be safe for children when used as directed. Studies have demonstrated its non-toxic nature, selective antioxidant properties, and positive safety profiles in clinical applications.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind when giving molecular hydrogen to kids:
- Start with a low dose and gradually increase it as needed.
- Monitor your child for any side effects, such as stomach upset or headache.
- Stop giving molecular hydrogen if your child experiences any side effects
- Remember, each child is unique, and it's crucial to consult with your child's healthcare provider before introducing any new therapy or supplement. They can provide personalized guidance based on your child's specific health needs.
- Ishibashi T. et al. (2012). Therapeutic efficacy of infused molecular hydrogen in saline on rheumatoid arthritis: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. International Immunopharmacology, 14(4), 688-694.
- Zhang J. et al. (2013). Hydrogen-rich water ameliorates total body irradiation-induced hematopoietic stem cell injury by reducing hydroxyl radical. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 2013, 1-8.
- Ishibashi T. et al. (2020). Clinical application of hydrogen inhalation in treatment of acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: Retrospective analysis of patient outcomes. Medical Gas Research, 10(3), 133-138.
- Yang Y. et al. (2019). Safety evaluation of chronic oral exposure to hydrogen-rich water in rats. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 108, 104436.
- Yoritaka A. et al. (2013). Pilot study of H2 therapy in Parkinson's disease: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Movement Disorders, 28(6), 836-839.
- Guo Q, Yin X, Qiao M, et al. Hydrogen-Rich Water Ameliorates Autistic-Like Behavioral Abnormalities in Valproic Acid-Treated Adolescent Mice Offspring. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience. 2018;12. doi:https://doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2018.00170
- Mizuno K, Sasaki AT, Ebisu K, et al. Hydrogen-rich water for improvements of mood, anxiety, and autonomic nerve function in daily life. Medical Gas Research. 2017;7(4):247. doi:https://doi.org/10.4103/2045-9912.222448
- TY - JOUR AU - Ghanizadeh, Ahmad PY - 2012/09/01 SP - 1313 EP - 4 T1 - Hydrogen as a novel hypothesized emerging treatment for oxidative stress in autism VL - 16 JO - European review for medical and pharmacological sciences ER –
- Zhang N, Deng C, Zhang X, Zhang J, Bai C. Inhalation of hydrogen gas attenuates airway inflammation and oxidative stress in allergic asthmatic mice. Asthma Research and Practice. 2018;4(1). doi:https://doi.org/10.1186/s40733-018-0040-y
- Russell G, Nenov A, Kisher H, Hancock JT. Molecular Hydrogen as Medicine: An Assessment of Administration Methods. Hydrogen. 2021;2(4):444-460. doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/hydrogen2040025
- Niu Y, Nie Q, Dong L, et al. Hydrogen Attenuates Allergic Inflammation by Reversing Energy Metabolic Pathway Switch. Scientific Reports. 2020;10(1):1962. doi:https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-58999-0
- Kajisa T, Yamaguchi T, Hu A, Suetake N, Kobayashi H. Hydrogen water ameliorates the severity of atopic dermatitis-like lesions and decreases interleukin-1β, interleukin-33, and mast cell infiltration in NC/Nga mice. Saudi Medical Journal. 2017;38(9):928-933. doi:https://doi.org/10.15537/smj.2017.9.20807